Frequently Asked Questions
Read answers to the most common questions we're asked from our students
Frequently asked questions
What safety measures are in place to combat COVID-19?
1. All students will sign a Medical declaration on arrival to state if they have had, or shown any symptoms of Coronavirus.
2. All students will have their temperature taken on arrival at the Training Centre. If anyone has a high temperature or shows signs of fever they will not be permitted to board the Yacht. This is to protect not only our instructors but all the other members of the Crew.
3. Masks will be provided to be worn onboard but are not compulsory.
4. The boats will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected each weekend in order to prepare for the next weeks course.
5. Hand sanitiser will be freely available and you will be encouraged to use it regularly in order to maintain good hygiene on the boat. Especially in the food preparation area.
Do I need to be physically fit to learn?
Yachting inevitably involves a bit of physical activity but this is not strenuous. You will be outdoors and active all day so expect to be tired by the end of the week.
What is an example itinerary for Mile building?
Is fuel included in the course fee?
Yes it is. The fuel for the course you take is included in the fee you pay. Exam fuel is also included.
Are meals included within the course fee?
Yes, we cover all meals while at sea. Water, Tea & Coffee are readibly available aboard.
If we are docked in a marina overnight, it is up to the students to arrange an evening meal.
Will I have my own cabin?
My english is not fluent, what if I can't understand the instructor?
All RYA courses must be taught in English but don’t worry, our instructors are very experienced and used to teaching people whose first language is not English. They are also very patient and explain things in a clear and practical way.
Do you provide training materials within the course price?
Do my miles with the sailing school count towards miles in my logbook?
Of course. All miles you sail count towards your logbook. If you are doing Yachtmaster exams then the mileage must have been accrued within the last 10 years.
Is smoking allowed onboard the yacht?
How many miles will we cover during a week of mile building?
Do I need Insurance?
We have our own insurance which covers you whilst on the boat. However we always recommend that you take out your own travel insurance to cover things such as lost luggage, flight cancellations and delays, and medical emergencies.